Transport of animals to the UK additional regulations

Travelling with your pet

Your pet must arrive in the UK no more than 5 days before or after you, or you’ll have to follow different rules.

You must use an approved transport company and route unless you’re travelling between the UK and Ireland.

Balai Directive: moving live animals, semen and embryos The animals, semen and embryos covered by the Balai Directive and how to move them in the EU, the UK or to and from non-EU countries.

If you’re moving traditional livestock (cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, or poultry), animals that aren’t intended for display or conservation, or pet dogs, cats and ferrets that meet pet travel rules, you’ll need to use the following guidance:

moving live animals and animal products as part of EU trade
importing live animals and animal products from non-EU countries
exporting live animals and animal products to non-EU countries
pet travel rules
Otherwise, you may have to follow the rules of the Balai Directive as explained in this guidance - talk to your vet if you’re unsure which rules apply to the animals you want to move.

Animals, semen and embryos covered by Balai
You must follow this guidance if you’re moving the following animals:
1) more than 5 pets per traveller in your party - or any pets that can’t be joined by their owner within 5 days
dogs, cats and ferrets that are being rehomed or don’t meet pet travel rules
2) simian primates, ms and apes
prosimian primates, eg lemurs, bushbabies, lorises, aye ayes and tarsiers

ungulates (hooved animals) that aren’t farm animals, eg llamas, alpacas, antelopes, camels, wild pigs, tapirs, rhinos, giraffes, elephants, hippos captive birds and poultry for exhibitions, shows, and contests which aren’t covered by poultry or bird legislation
honey bees
3) jackals, foxes, wolves, African wild dogs, hyaenas
4) bears, eg polar, black, brown, grizzly, pandas or giant pandas
5) raccoons, coatis, and other new world procyonids
6) otters, martens, polecats, badgers, skunks, wolverines
7) non-domestic cats like pumas, cheetahs, lions, tigers and leopards
8) bats, eg vampire bats, flying foxes, fruit bats, gliders
9) flying lemurs and flying squirrels
10) marsupials, eg koalas, kangaroos, wombats or wallabies
11) possums, bandicoots, bilbys, quolls and Tasmanian devils
12) anteaters, sloths, armadillos
13) shrews, moles and hedgehogs
14) rabbits and hares
15) rodents, eg gophers, squirrels, mice, rats, hamsters, voles, beavers, gerbils
You must also follow this guidance if you’re moving semen or embryos that aren’t bovine or porcine.
You can’t import any live ungulates (horses, cattle, giraffes, camels, deer, hippopotamuses) or whales and dolphins into the UK from non-EU countries, unless you have an agreement from
Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales
the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) if you’re in Northern Ireland
Check the import_er information notes to find out the latest information about importing live animals semen or embryos under the Balai Directive.
Importing, exporting and EU trade

If you move animals from an EU country to a non-EU country, this is considered exporting.
If you move animals into an EU country from a non-EU country, this is considered importing.
If you move animals from one EU country to another, this is considered EU trade.
You’ll have to follow the commercial rules for import_ing animals if you want to travel with more than 5 pets that aren’t attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event.
You must follow extra rules if the animals will be: -sold in the UK from outside the EU or inside the EU
-re-homed in the UK from inside or outside the EU The countries that are part of EU trade, the certification you need, getting consignments checked, and how horses and ponies must be moved. Countries and animals covered by EU trade
If you’re moving the following animals or animal products within the EU, or Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland, this is considered EU trade:
1) cattle
2) sheep and goats
3) pigs
4) horses
5) poultry and hatching eggs
6) germplasm (semen, ova and embryos of cattle, sheep, pigs and goats)
7) rabbits and hares
8) cats, dogs and ferrets
9) non-domestic ungulates (camelids, alpacas, llamas, non-domestic bovines, deer, pronghorns)

Moving live animals
When you need an ITAHC

If you’re sending or receiving live animals within the EU, your consignment must be accompanied by an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC).

If you’re bringing the animals into Great Britain, you must make sure the person you’re importing the goods from has arranged the ITAHC in their own country.

The importer is also legally required to send an Importer notification form (MS Word Document, 123KB) to APHA.
This must be sent at least 24 hours before it is due to arrive into Great Britain.

Your consignment won’t get into Great Britain without an ITAHC.

If you’re moving live animals from Britain to another country that’s part of EU trade, it’s your responsibility to get the ITAHC.

Transport zwierząt do Wielkiej Brytanii dodatkowe regulacje